Cloudy, with a chance of...

Do you ever have an idea that is so strong, to your mind at least, that it’s urgency and pressure essentially compels you to do something with it?

I get them a lot. Probably too many of them, actually.

Some ideas seem strong to begin with, but fall apart in your hands when you try to flesh them out. Others lead to even better ideas. Some ideas are really great, but you just don’t have the time to give to them.

I have a little notebook that I carry with me that is full of what seemed like purely genius ideas at the time. Some of them have stood the test of further development, but a lot of them have not.

My big problem is TIME. There is absolutely, positively, definitely not enough of it. I’d love to just sit and bring every story idea I have to its full potential. But that simply is not possible. Which is something I’m coming to not only realise and accept, but also to see as a way of focusing on the important things. The things I want to concentrate on.

Take this idea, for example…

I came up with this story idea a few months ago. The entire story popped into my head in the span of a couple of seconds and it was pretty easy to immediately visualise.

Sounds great, right?

Well, yes. But mostly no.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great little story and who knows what will happen with it in the future. But for now, it’s an idea that has to be put aside in favour of things I want to do more.

Because I am at a point where I want to create a name for myself as somebody that does a certain type of thing, and this idea just doesn’t fit in with that image.

So what do I want to be known for? Well you’ll just have to wait until the next instalment of this blog to find out!