16 days

I have a delicious and well-earned two week break from my job at the bookstore, starting in 78 minutes from the time I'm writing this. I'm very excited about it!

That's sixteen days off. Three weekends and the weekdays in between. I've done the math.

A fresh notebook is always a good start.

I reeaaalllly want to use that time wisely. I've been developing the visuals and fleshing out the story for a picture book I'm hoping to send to agents in the near future. It's coming along quite well and I really think I've got something with it. So that's my mission for these 16 days: Get this picture book to a point where it is ready to send to prospective agents.

Sounds like a lot of work and perhaps an unreasonable target? Well, I just love those! My philosophy is to aim for the stars and if you fall short, you're probably going to still be pretty high up there. Having two glorious weeks off happens only once a year for me. We usually find some sunny locale to visit, but with everything else that is going on, travel doesn't really seem to be the right thing to yet, I think. 

So, I have to make the most of these two weeks, because who knows when I'll have this opportunity again! 

The plan is to work. And then work. And then probably keep on working. Total immersion and doing what it takes to get the job done. I'll be researching agents I want to contact, looking at agencies, writing cover letters, using my Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators membership to look at best practices for approaching agents, developing my online presence and making sure it all looks nice and neat. Best foot forward, you know.

I can't wait to get to work and I'll be sure to do some progress posts along the way.

Stay tuned!